KEDRON FOOTBALL CLUB
With its history dating back to 1937, Kedron is one of the Leagues’ oldest clubs. The club's formation was the result of an amalgamation between Kedron and Wooloowin Past Pupil's Associations. Founders included Jack Henderson, John (Sandy) McMahon, Ted Anderson and Ted Pascoe, all granted life membership of the club.
First President-Secretary was Jack Henderson and first Captain-coach was Les Phillips. That first season, Kedron had its first premiership success with the second 18's. While a Queensland team was in Melbourne in 1938, Kedron won a special `Knockout' competition at home. There were two Kedron representatives in the Queensland team, Harold Jackson and Gordon (Freckles) Phelan; Freckles was named in the AFLQ Team of the Century. Jack Henderson was the team manager.
Kedron finished the 1938 season with a credit balance of £10 ($20)!
The club trained at Melrose Park, Kalinga for many years before moving to Gibson Park at Stafford. In 1963 the club took out a seven-year lease on land at 24 Mercer Avenue, Kedron which had been a rubbish tip and which was later named Mercer Park.
The Kedron Football Club has spent enormous amounts of time and money in building its headquarters and in 1976 The Kedron Sporting Club began operating in the present building with all funds associated with the cost being raised by members and supporters.
On 25 August 2019, another chapter in the rich history of the Kedron Football Club was written when the Kedron Lady Lions won their first ever flag by defeating Burleigh Heads to take out the QFAW Division 1 premiership. Final score: Kedron 6.6 - 42 Burleigh Heads 5.8 - 38
Footnote 1: For further reading on the early years click the HISTORY sub-menu "A Battler's Background"
Footnote 2: In the header image, the player on the left is Ron Campling, number 5 is Mal Heineger and players on right are Jim Reid and life member Milton Rogers. Match against Wilston-Grange at Perry Park circa 1956 - Photo Ted McDonnell (life member).